Saturday, July 26, 2008

My Name is Jonas...

For all who have been wondering (the question has been asked a number of times now), Jonas Robert Pilkington was not named after the totally awesome Weezer song from their self-titled debut album. I like Weezer, but not enough to pay homage to them with the name of our first-born son. However, because the song is so awesome it definitely got listed in my "pros" section of our pro/con list.
In reality, I wanted to give our kid a meaningful and unique name. I remember asking my Dad why he named me Aaron, to which he told me that shortly after his conversion to the church and having received the Aaronic Priesthood, he was in a priesthood meeting and saw this picture...
and learned of the ordination of Aaron (brief summary). I've always been very impressed with my Dad's reasons for naming my brother (Adam) and myself what he did and I always felt honored to have a legacy to live up to. For the reasons I have just given, some may wonder why I like Jonas of all the prophets. He was scared, he was chastened, etc, etc. I have my reasons. Robert is my Dad's name and my middle name. Abby and Emma's names were also chosen with great people and inspiring stories in mind.
Jonas is derived from Jonah. I just happen to like Jonas better than Jonah. If you feel the need to learn more about the name "Jonas," please do so...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonas_(name)
Apart from the Book of Jonah, Jesus speaks of the Sign of Jonas and the impact of Jonas' missionary work in Matthew 12:38-41 and Luke 11:29-32.
The fact that our kid has a theme song is a definite bonus.
Megan rarely has the urge to ever get pictures of me with the kids...or of me at all. When she does it is because I am sleeping or in some other random state that she believes will bring me some sort of embarrassment later on down the road. Thanks, Megan.



4 comments:

Jonathan and Rachel said...

Cute -- I LOVE the name Jonas ... it is definitely on the top of our list ... Jonas was also one of the 12 apostles "chosen" by the Savior when he came to visit the Nephites - you probably already knew all that - but hince the reason it is one of my favorite names ... :) Can't wait to meet him! -- And I'm glad you give good thought into naming your first son!

Stephanie said...

Oh Dad, just 5 more minutes!...
He's so cute! I especially love the part of your video where you are trying to shove the pacifier in his mouth! LOL He did not want to wake up. Congrats you guys!

Matt and Jill said...

That is a sweet video, and he is just too cute. Congrats to you two! We love the name, great choice.

Josh and Stephanie Barney said...

Aaron this reminds me of the days in the MTC when I always had to try and keep you awake. Congrats on your new baby boy and go penarol.