Saturday, August 22, 2009

Petra

This was probably my most favorite place we visited. We got to our hotel late since we didn't leave Amman when we were wanting to (because we were looking for lost luggage at the airport) But the Hotel was AWESOME. Aaron did very well in getting us the very best this whole trip. I was a VERY spoiled girl the entire trip!!! We were upgraded to a suite (either because they were just really nice or because Aaron had reserved them under the school name and they wanted to impress us "business" people...either way we definitely scored big time with the hotel rooms) We woke up had an amazing breakfast and then walked to the Petra ruins (our hotel was right at the entrance) Petra was AMAZING!!! All I can say is I cant wait to go back. When we first got there there are people selling their goods and one guy talked us into buying a scarf for myself. Which at first I felt completely dorky, but it totally came in handy!! You just walk/hike through the mountains to see these buldings and temples and whatnot carved right out of the mountain. They were incredible!! I loved every moment of it. I should have Aaron write this post because he knows a lot more of the history and details of the place much better than I do. I just wish I would have taken the donkey ride up to the monastery. That hike was like the stair master from "you know where" and this is where that white scarf thingy came in handy. Its so hot, but the more you cover the better oddly enough. My face was so red by the end of the day. I couldnt walk for the next few days, but it was totally worth it!!! That night Aaron took me to dinner. It was called Petra Kitchen and on the way there Aaron tells me that you cook your own food and you dont know what you are going to be making until you get there. I was a bit skeptical at first...since I can be a bit of a picky eater. When we got there we were with 3 other people. We were given recipes of some traditional Jordanian foods and were shown how to make everything. It was SO FUN!! And the food was SO YUMMY!! I would have eaten there every night! We got to take home the recipes for the things that we made so maybe I will be making them again very soon for my family (anyone want to try??) We spent another night in Petra and then the next morning after another super yummy breakfast we headed to Wadi Rum....sorry these pictures are out of order but im too tired and lazy to fix it.
me

This was a little bridge that looks to be held up by this little teeny pole...of course I told Aaron to go stand on it for a picture!

can you believe that this was all carved out of the mountain?!?! and thats just a small portion of all that is there!!

our menu and our hosts that taught us how to cook at the petra kitchen


me pretending i know what im doing


almost to the top to the monastery...had to take a break...and this is where the scarf came in handy even if I look a bit dorky:)

the entrance

2 comments:

Bart and Misty Brimhall said...

That's AMAZING!!! I'm so happy you two finally got to do something together like that! I'm so glad you got to do something so cool like that! I would love to talk to you, call me!

Jessica said...

Fun! I'm glad you guys had a good time.

You are brave. I would never be brave enough to go to that restaurant.

You don't look dorky. You look skinny and hot, mmmkay?